Bad Blogger Update - Helena, AL to Copperas Cove, TX August 14 - 21, 2021


 Well, it's been a week since I updated the travel blog.  While I am trying to forget some of the gloomy details I will write them down.

August 14, 2021

The drive from Augusta, GA to Helena, AL was uneventful but the roads were a bit rough.  I found the campground for the night on line.  It appeared to be a good spot.  Well . . . . the site had everything we needed - water, sewer, and electricity but that was the only good thing.  

August 15, 2021

When I awoke in the morning I notice something on the floor moving.  I didn't have my glasses on.  When I put them on I screamed for Roy.  ANTS!!  

When all the lights were on they were everywhere.  We got dressed in a hurry and packed up the trailer.  First stop was Target for bug killer!  It helped a bit, at least for the moment.  We learned a valuable lesson.  

    1.  Never believe the internet reviews on campgrounds.

    2.  DO NOT PARK UNDER TREES!!!

It was raining and the suckers dropped from the trees in the thousands.  I didn't know that it would take days to rid ourselves of our little friends.  Note the foreshadowing ๐Ÿ˜.

The drive to Vicksburg, MS was uneventful except for the ROADS.  We bounced around like a basketball.  No dozing for sure.  The scenery pretty and very green.  Especially on the rural roads.

I had found another internet campground and it was bad . . . not maintained.  Garbage and dog pooh EVERYWHERE.  But it had no trees and the only ants were on the ground.  Bug sprayed all the point where the truck and trailer touched the ground.  

We had used a bit too much of the bug spray and the camper floor was like an ice rink.  When we got set up we started cleaning.  All rugs to the filthy laundry room.  But it was only rugs so wash we did. Roy cleaned the floor with dish soap (to cut the greased and Windex to ensure everything was taken up).  We sprayed the bug spray lightly this time.  Made a quick meal, showered, and went to bed.

August 16, 2021

We awoke to a few more ants that decided the garbage bag with fruit skins smelled delicious.  Bag was quickly removed outside and we began ANT Patrol.  The ANTS were the small blackish red sugar ants.  I've learned to smash ants without any remorse and became very efficient.  This only girl can move fast when bugs are concerned.

When we stopped at rest stop Roy noticed part of the sewer hose had come out of its travel case inside the bumper.  Oh crap, pun intended.  The hose was worn away and I knew there would be further sewer problems down the road if a replacement was not found.  I know that Walmart carries the hoses so we were on the lookout.  Miles down the road we saw a Camping World sign and immediately got off Highway 20.  New hose (and a few other gadgets we just had to have) we left "happy campers."

We packed up and decided there are a few states that way be added to the DO NOT VISIT list.  The drive to Shreveport, LA was better.  We arrived at a beautiful KOA in early afternoon.  I paid an extra fee to park on a cement camp spot.  It was nice and clean, wonderful and plenty of hot water for showers.



I cooked roasted chicken, baked potatoes and fruit for dinner.  A real dinner and just a few ANTS.

August 17, 2021

We arrived at our dear friend's Robbie and Sylvia's house.  A beautiful home without bugs.  First really good nights sleep in a few days.  Sylvia is a wonderful cook and she had baked Roy and I's favorite cake and Italian beef french dips.  Heaven.  We fell into bed after a shower.  Slept like logs.

August 18, 2021

Everything out! We removed everything out of the trailer and out of the undercarriage storage areas into the garage.  It was amazing how much crap we had packed.  We are on the road for two months but it was a mountain of stuff.

We were done unloading by early afternoon and set off two foggers.  One inside the trailer and one for the storage areas.  Robbie taped around the windows with painter's tape to make sure the fog didn't escape.  Tomorrow we clean.

August 19, 2021

We wiped down everything in the trailer and then repacked it.  We were done by 2:00 pm.  The garage was back to empty.

Roy and Robbie had a great evening.  They went to the Earth, Wind and Fire concert in Austin, TX.  Sylvia and I stayed home and reviewed her project file.  So many fun projects to consider!!

 



 August 20, 2021 

We had a few errands to run and stopped for project supplies at Home Depot, Lowes, and Hobby Lobby.  We replaced hinges and floor sweeps on two outside doors.  We learned a few things about twenty year old screw heads and about my stripped screw digger outter bit.  I'm pretty sure there's a formal name but that's what I had.  We also repaired a wall clock and replaced a light bulb in a very cranky fan.  


Sylvia baked a lemon/garlic shrimp dish with my favorite green salad.  The salad had every fruit and veggie and roasted pecans.  She makes her own salad dressing.  There was crusty warm bread and four very happy folks after dinner.

All in all it was a good day.

Today - August 21, 2021

Breakfast and updating the blog was my first priority today.  DONE!  I will not let it go so long this time.  I'll post more on today later.  Love to All, Grandma and FunPop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Ft Stockton, Tx

Home

DC/Maryland